March 20, 2008

Things I have Knit

And here we are, finally. A (nearly) chronological, (not especially) comprehensive list of things I have knit, since I first began to knit, lo those two summers ago.

I apologize in advance for extreme myspace angles. I assure you that displaying the knitwear was my main goal.

We begin out tour with the first scarf I ever knit. And, incidentally, the first anything I'd ever knit. I started this in grade 11, though I didn't really get into knitting until the summer of 2006. It has gone by many names. When it began, it was "How ugly can I make this scarf until my current boyfriend refuses to wear it?" Of course, I never got past two stripes, so we never found out.

When I started it up again, the summer after my first year at university, it became "The Break-up Scarf" or "How to knit your feelings into something amazingly hideous." Later that summer it was re-dubbed "The Rambaldi Scarf" because I worked on it while watching the entire run of Alias, and found that like the plot of Alias, my scarf had many holes.

It is also obscenely wide, and in the photo above, you can see a prominent scarf tumour.

My first hat! Made from a pattern I got at uptown yarns in Courtenay, and meant to be knitted in Colinette Prism. I love this hat, I wear it every winter. My mom made the pom-pom for it, but I thought it was too big and so I tried to cut it down but I made it lopsided and I got so frusterated that I almost started to cry because "I had ruined it"


Now I didn't knit this, My mom did. But it is the pattern and hat that encouraged me to begin knitting, since it is so absolutely fabulous a hat. Unfortunately I don't wear it as much as I liked, because it is knit out of Lopi, which I had a brief love affair with before realizing that it is SO FUCKING ITCHY. This leaves us all with the promininent question of, "If it is so itchy, why did you continue to make scarves out of it."

Example One: Made with leftovers and some new colors, to match my monkey hat.

Caption: I PISS ON VOLDEMORT. I TOOK A PISS ON VOLDEMORT.


Example the second: I was so excited about the concept for this scarf, how it would look like christmas and snow and stained glass. Unfortunately, like its Lopi breathren, it is so unbelievably itchy. A shame.

One of my great "Start at one point and then finish half a year later" projects. I actually knit this halfway through second year and pinned it to a towel to block it and then folded up the towel and didn't actually get around to blocking it until the following summer. I AM ON TASK.

My legs!
Up High: Legwarmers knit in XMas '06. I was so pleased about these. This is a shitty picture, but there are some much more racy ones of me trying to get a better angle. They are surely NSFW.

Down Low: A Very Tall Sock of which I have only knit one. The reason? I made the foot too short, and this, to me, is something so unfixable that I gave up. Also, they take for god damn ever, and I will need some kind of garter to hold them up. I don't even know where to get that.

My Tosca Scarf! Started Summer of '07, Finished Xmas of '07. I like it because it reminds me of grapefruits, and it is soft. Not Itchy!

I spent the better part of several Star Wars D20 sessions knitting this up. Sweatermaker yarn, baby cable rib, started out to be a neckwarmer and ended up a hat! Oh, the places you'll go.


My mohawk toque! I love it so. I wish I had knitted it at the start of Winter rather than the end. referred to by others as the "Trojan soldier guy" hat, or the "Pony mane hat." Knit with Noro. I picked the colors because it reminds me of 90's sweatwear. Do not ask. Also my first attempt at felting...which went interestingly. I am knitting a black/red version of this for my brother's birthday present, which he is patiently awaiting.

If anyone knows where I could obtain a mannequin head or hair-stylist dummy, do let me know, I don't have anywhere proper to put this when it's not being worn.


Yeah -- That's right. I partook in some Gillyweed on top of the Astronomy Tower last night. I'd like to see Filch prove it. You tell anyone and I'll mess you up so hard you'll pass out a Ravenclaw and wake up a Hufflepuff.


This made me laugh endlessly last night. ENDLESSLY.

No comments: