March 15, 2008

Good Morning

I thought that I would post a poem. I'm not usually a big poetry fan (aside from Dorothy Parker) but I wrote this for the poetry section of Writ 100, and I found it last night as I was puttering through my files. It nicely sums up my feelings about knitting, and the catharsis therein. Hurrah!
It gets a bit "salty salty tears of pain and angst" at the end.
--
Yarn Tales

i'm knitting a story
each row is a sentence
each thread is a word
and i am the writer.

i'm repenting
in brightly colored wool
and as i slide my stitch
a sin, over
from one needle to the other
i am absolved.

each quick click is a feeling,
a plotline, a character
woven out of me, slid past
the plastic taptapping
a clear cathartic rhythm,
exorcising my demons
and trapping them
in knotted cotton holes

i'm knitting my biography
my mistakes, my words, my sins,
into something i can wear
instead of feel
--
HarHar, poetry! What is the deal with bears. Anyways.

I have something else for you too. Something you won't necessarily want.

Here are two (poor) covers of songs that may or may not be about me in the first place.
(I'm 99% sure they are not)

Dear sirs,
I am sorry that I broke your songs.

Look, all I can tell you is that when I woke up at 3 a.m., and couldn't sleep, and needed something to do so that I could, at a later time, actually get to sleep, this was hilarious.

2 comments:

alex said...

Your songs, they are epically winful. But you already know I think that.
I also think that rhyming a word that ends in "son" with "sun" is so abundantly novel!

I will grant my song lyrics probably aren't much better.

meg said...

the name meg/margariet doesn't get songs...bitch