March 11, 2008

Why life is kinda rad.

Today something Very Neat happened to me.

Backstory: About two months ago, I decided to walk three blocks to the left, to make my first visit to Boutique de Laine, the yarn shop on Estevan Avenue.



The goal of this adventure was choose the proper shade of blue for my Stupidly Large Afghan. So, as any adept knitter might do, I brought a little sample of the colors I was already using: Red, Yellow, Green, Teal and Purple, so that I could make sure said shade of blue would fit appropriately into my chromatic scheme. Tough stuff, people. Difficult shit.

So I had my five little strings of yarn all tied together, in my bag, ready to sample.

In the end, I couldn't choose a proper blue so I put it off and bought some orange instead, but when I got home I never managed to take the yarn bits out of my bag.



Cut to: Like, a week later, I guess. I have no concept of time passing. It's unforunate. Anyways, for the first time in all winter, it's gorgeous out. Sun making green grass seem greener and all that. Sunlight always seems to flow through you like good energy. So for the first time in forever, the sun is out, and I can finally go take some of those generally unremarkable macro nature shots I enjoy so much. Because I really do enjoy it. There's this moment before the shutter shuts where everything goes so crisp and clear on the LCD screen that something a little bit electric runs through you.

Oh, here. There's a date on the photographs. It was January 27th. That was three months ago. Wow.

Anyways, I decided to explore the other side of the path over Bowker Creek. The one on the opposite side of Royal Jubilee. You'd never notice when you're walking past, to or from the 14 bus stop, but the lines of trees that parallel the path make a tunnel. That's some Harry Potter shit, right there. So I walk around, snap my pictures, and think about how much I love Spring.



Now here's the part that happened today:

Once again: Gorgeous day out. I'm on the bus home from the class I'm partially skipping out on, and partially going home sick from. I love riding the bus when the sun is out. It's feels like I'm the only person riding, and the whole space just gets bigger. Like the light comes in and heats it up, expanding the metal, and the fresh air flows straight in one window and out the other. Yeah, I'm on a bus, but somehow I'm outside, too. Close enough to touch the pavement. Even though this is one of my favorite Victoria phenomena, I got off the bus one stop early to walk through the tree tunnel. Not that I'd gone back since that first time.

This is the fantastic, amazing part: I'm halfway down the tunnel when something colorful on the ground catches my eye. And I stoop down to look because, of course, it is colorful, and I am me.

By now you obviously know what it is. It was my yarn sample! Sitting in the middle of the path, chilling out, covered in pine needles and bits of nature debris. But finding it there gave me this inexplicable feeling of existance, like, "Yes, I do exist. I am very much existing and leaving little bits of yarn all over the place." It was wonderful.



Unfortunately, as I write this, I realize what has happened. I've dropped a piece of string. I've dropped a
piece of string, on the ground, in the woods, and now I'm making a big fucking deal about it like it's the
second coming.

I kind of feel like a douche.

But! I do not lie. In that moment, it was amazing. I found a little piece of myself somewhere that I didn't expect, and for once, I actually felt like I had made an imprint on something. On the world. On the ground, with colored bits of string.

---

Don't worry. Angel and Spike think I'm crazy too.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's like walking on the beach when there haven't been many people around, just after the tide goes out, and then you turn around and see your footprints and you realize that you made them. You didn't even mean to but there they are, and there is nothing you can actually do about it. You left a mark, that someone else might see, might have seen, and you did it unintentionally and without knowledge. Kind of makes you wonder what other marks you have left that you haven't seen, and who found them if not you.

Anonymous said...

That is very deep Dewdrop. Your blog looks awesome. Look forward to reading about all of your knitting shinanigans!

alex said...

Hey look! A-town was here! How did A-town stumble across this? Was it shared with him or is he the ultimate in internet stalkers?

alison said...

its listed as my website on facebook :)