April 8, 2008

Confession

Dear University,

I have something to confess to you. It is something that I have kept inside of me now for the better part of two years' time, and it is this:

I am not an anthropologist. I am not, in this life or any other, going to seek work in the field of anthropology. I do not plan to apply for a Masters degree, nor do I plan to continue any study in the field of Anthropology after my bachelor's.

Do not get me wrong, I am very deeply interested in Anthropology. Well, physical anyways, and archaeology. Cultural anthropology can very politely go assess it's post-modern holistic views somewhere very far away from me, for all I care. But I do love human evolution, the archaeological record, the evolution of civilization, and everything that the fair faculty has taught me.

But I know that I must now get these feelings out in the open, because it is important to be honest, especially if one is to call oneself an 'adult.'*

So if you've been wondering why I haven't been coming to class, and why my assignments have...lacked lustre, it's for this reason:

While I find the study of Anthropology very interesting, I don't want to do it for a living.

I want to be a writer. I want to write.

And I don't much care for citations.

Sincerely,
Alison.

*I am by no means actually attempting to call myself an adult.




Man, it feels good to get that off my chest.
Now I return to writing a take-home exam on the cultural aspects of technology.

No comments: